Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Feeling The Moment

We all agree that life is made up of a succession of moments; or at least, that's how I see it. Someone very clever, who used to be in my life quite some time ago, used to say:  "A moment is over once you've thought about it."

To be perfectly honest, I've never really allowed myself to think about that phrase too much.  I guess I'm scared that my brain might cease up from trying to over-think and over-analyze (the way I usually do).  It might even be like trying to divide by zero: the universe might implode!  So, I'm sorry to disappoint, but you're going to have to figure that one out for yourself.

Because here's the thing.  If the moment is over once it has crossed your mind, doesn't that mean life is made up of a lot of lost and fleeting moments?  Which kind of makes me wonder if life's moments are supposed to be slippery, lost and mostly gone.  A little negative, don't you think?  I mean, it makes me feel like I have absolutely no control over my moments; which I highly doubt to be true.

Personally I prefer being in control (well, I guess most of us feel that we need to be in control of 99.9% of our lives); this means that I prefer thinking of moments as long drawn-out experiences that I choose to enjoy slowly, thoughtfully and passionately.  Almost the way I would enjoy, say, dreamy ice-cream with caramel sauce.  I'll leave you with that image for a while...you're welcome.

Anyway, my point is actually very simple:  You determine how long you want a moment to last.  I know, life gives you really boring, annoying, frustrating, heart-breaking moments, and sometimes you wish for them to be over in the blink of an eye.  But I actually want to encourage you to not rush any of your moments.  We all know that we learn stuff even if it doesn't feel like we're learning stuff, so instead of closing your eyes and sprinting past a moment, why don't you light a candle and spend some time with it.

Yes, a candle.  Light one.  It will make the experience awesome; just like running with a cape is more awesome than running without one!

Oh, and obviously you can totally create your own moments...they don't always "just happen".  Go get them...with your cape, your ice-cream and your candle.


No comments:

Post a Comment