I thoroughly enjoy the audition rounds for shows such as American idol, Britain's Got Talent, The X-Factor and So You Think You Can Dance. The words most often heard from my mouth during these audition rounds, are: "What were they thinking!?" I usually find myself laughing so hard that I end up with stomach cramps afterwards. The entertainment value is through the roof!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not remotely close to ever being an expert about these things. There is a very valid and grotesquely obvious reason why I've never auditioned for any such program: I know my abilities, and most importantly, I have friends and family who love me enough to not allow me to make a fool of myself.
I'm not saying that none of us should ever try our hands at something new; and I'm definitely not saying that we should live mediocre lives if our soul, heart and spirit is passionate about something and presses us to pursue it.
My point is that we should surround ourselves with people who will tell us the truth. If you have a friend who constantly encourages you to do something that only ends up embarrassing you and causes them to roll on the floor laughing...I'm going to venture a guess and say that your friend probably doesn't really care about your success or well-being; he only cares about entertaining himself.
This might mean that you'll have to take a long hard look at your circle of "friends" and decide whether you are going to keep allowing their counsel to influence your life negatively.
I mean, how many times are you going to believe the friend with the video camera and huge grin when he tells you that "that Superman cape will definitely make you fly dude, just make the jump!"
Be encouraged to always pursue your passions and dreams, but make sure to surround yourself with the people who have the courage to be honest when you most need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment