We all know the painful scenario in a movie, when the geeky girl/guy is staring it his/her heartthrob (usually the most popular girl/guy in school) and the object of their affection seems to be waving at them, so obviously they wave back, thinking fate has finally smiled on them, only to realise that they weren't the intended recipient of the friendliness. And we all feel sorry for them...or we find it extremely hilarious?
Well, here's my story. It is customary for the grade 11's (standard 9's) to organize the Matric Farewell (senior dance) at the end of the year. In 1995 I was part of the committee organizing this event, and also doubled as a waitress for the evening. I honestly wasn't accustomed to the whole waitressing thing, so I didn't know the etiquette (maybe this is why I vowed never to be a waitress!), so when one of the seniors waved me over to ask for more drinks...I just waved back! I had NO idea! Only afterwards did I realize what had happened, and by that time it was too late to be embarrassed.
I can't even remember who the senior was...and to be honest, it doesn't really matter. Point is, I truly, in all senses of the word, was a geek in school...no jokes.
And I think I still am...but more on that subject some other time.
I hope this made all of you feel more capable!
Nice Blog!
ReplyDeleteGreetings from Greece.